Dr Riyaz Patel is a consultant cardiologist and clinical academic working at Barts Health and UCLH NHS trusts and University College London (UCL). He graduated from King’s College London in 2001 and was subsequently elected to Fellowship of the Royal College of Physicians and the European Society of Cardiology in 2018. Having trained and worked across major teaching hospitals in London and the USA, he is highly experienced in managing all general cardiology conditions, with a focus on advanced cardiac imaging and premature coronary artery disease.
Importantly, Dr Patel is also a fully funded BHF clinician scientist and associate professor at UCL, who conducts research into the causes of heart disease, with a focus on cardiovascular risk and genetics of coronary heart disease. He leads global initiatives and consortia in this field with a track record of research funding and high profile research publications.
Clinically, Dr Patel sees and manages patients with all general cardiology problems, including chest pain breathlessness, palpitations, high blood pressure among others. He is a recognised specialist in advanced cholesterol management including familial hypercholesterolaemia (FH), being one of only a handful of cardiologists in the UK with this expertise. In addition, in line with his research expertise, he investigates and manages patients with possible genetically driven coronary artery disease, including early onset heart disease or those who are well but have a strong family history of early heart disease. Dr Patel founded and leads the new cardiovascular prevention service at the Barts Heart Centre, a service modelled on those available in the USA at centres such as the Mayo Clinic, to serve the local population of East London.
Aside from general cardiology Dr Patel is also a fully accredited and recognised specialist in advanced echocardiography, which includes stress (exercise and pharmacological) and transoesophageal echocardiography (TOE), and cardiac and coronary CT angiography, and provides these tests at the Barts Heart Centre.
Special interests and treatments
Dr Patel is interested in the Investigation and management of premature/early coronary artery disease, high cholesterol including familial hypercholesterolaemia, genetic and familial tendency to coronary artery disease, cardiovascular risk assessments and general cardiology.
He performs the following procedures:
- Transthoracic echocardiography (BSE accredited)
- Transoesophageal echocardiography (ESC accredited)
- Exercise stress echocardiography
- Dobutamine stress echocardiography
- Coronary CT angiography (SCCT accredited)
- PI and Lead for the GENIUS-CHD Consortium
- Associate editor of European Heart Journal QCCO
- Founder and clinical lead for the cardiovascular prevention service at the Barts Heart Centre
- Steering committee for the heart age tool, Public Health England
- Research executive member, NICOR
- Module lead for MSc Cardiovascular Science, UCL
- Module lead Cardiometabolic Patient Pathway, MBBS Year 2, UCL
- Fellow of the European Society of Cardiology (FESC)
- Member of the British Cardiovascular Society; British Society of Echocardiography; British Society of Cardiovascular Imaging